Moving out of your door room is an experience most students do not look forward to; It can be tedious and extremely challenging. Here at Hanover Storage, convenience and ease is paramount to us and we have the right tips to make your transition easier. While in storage, you want all your items clean and ready to use for the next semester.
The best method to packing up your room for self storage, is to individually prep all items the right way.
- For your large electronics like TV, stereo speakers, remove all batteries and unplug. This eliminates risk of corrosion
- Clean out the interior of your bar fridge, making sure it is clean and dry.
- Leave the door ajar for air flow and mould prevention
- Take out bulbs from electronics such as desk lamp. If the lamp has a different shade, remove and store separately to avoid damage.
- Take out glass carousel in microwave/toaster oven and pack separately with dishes
- If the original boxes of your electronics are still available, use for best protection. Otherwise, place foam inside packing box for safer transport.
- While in storage, place your electronics on top of each other, instead of the ground to prevent moisture damage.
- Items such as mirrors and picture frames must be wrapped in bubble wrap to protect from scratches and dusts.
- Carefully wrap your dishes in lots of newspaper. Then place bowls and plates on their sides, in a single layer and with thick layer of paper.
- Cups and glasses should be placed in an upright position and all space in box should be padded with paper for extra safety
- When storing breakable items, avoid placing them directly on the ground. Cold surface might cause glass to begin to crack
Books and Linen
- Larger boxes become too heavy to lift for storage if not stored in smaller boxes or storage bins. Preferably a bin for safer storage.
- Rare and valuable books should be kept in plastic sleeves for extra protection. Place books upright or flat on their sides.
- Place Linens and clothes in plastic bin bags to keep fabric moisture
- Make sure linens are clean and dry before packing and storage.
These tips, should suffice for an easy breezy move. Still looking for a storage space for your room? Contact us for the best rates